The national champions Auburn hardly impressed during week one, barely beating Utah State 42-38, knocking them out of the first AP top 25 rankings of the college football season. The Tiger become just the second national champions to fall out of the rankings on after the first week of action. The pre season top ranked team, Oklahoma, remained at the top spot.
1. Oklahoma Sooners (32 first place votes) – The Sooners beat Tulsa 47-14 at home to open the season.
2. LSU Tigers (17) – The Tigers prevailed from the biggest game of week 1, beating Oregon 40-27 in a 4 vs 3 matchup.
3. Alabama Crimson Tide (9) – Nick Saban’s guys crushed Kent State at home 48-7.
4. Boise State Broncos (2) – The BCS busters beat Gerogia (19th pre season) 35-21 in Atlanta with a Kellen Moore tour de force.
5. Florida State Seminoles – Started with a 34-0 home win over LA-Monroe.
6. Stanford Cardinal – Andrew Luck starred in an impressive 57-3 win over San Jose State.
7. Texas A&M Aggies – The soon to leave Big 12 team began with a 46-14 win over SMU.
8. Wisconsin Badgers – Beat UNLV 51-17.
9. Oklahoma State Cowboys – Won a shootout against LA-Lafayette 61-34.
10. Nebraska Cornhuskers – Beat Chattanooga 40-7.
11. Virginia Tech Hokies – Ripped Appalachian State 66-13.
12. South Carolina Gamecocks – Struggled against East Carolina, beating the Pirates 56-37.
13. Oregon Ducks – One of two teams in the top 25 that opened the season with a loss, 40-27 in Dallas.
14. Arkansas Razorbacks – Crushed Missouri State 51-7.
15. Ohio State Buckeyes- Going nowhere this season, but started with a 42-0 win over Akron.
16. Mississippi State Bulldogs – Started with an away win, 59-14 over Memphis.
17. Michigan State Spartans – Had a rough time against Youngstown State, winning at home 28-6.
18. Florida Gators – Began with a 41-3 win over Florida Atlantic.
19. West Virginia Mountaineers – Beat Marshall 34-13 in the West Virginia derby.
20. Baylor Bears – Previously not ranked, Baylor beat TCU in a huge 50-48 game.
21. Missouri Tigers – Started with a rough 17-6 win over Miami (Ohio).
22. South Florida Bulls – Upset Notre Dame 23-20. Notre Dame dropped out of the rankings. South Florida were previously outside the top 25.
23. Penn State Nittany Lions – Weren’t ranked in the pre season, beat Indiana State 41-7.
24. Texas Longhorns – Also weren’t ranked in the pre season, the Longhorns began with a 34-9 win over Rice.
25. TCU – The second team in the rankings to lose on the opening weekend, dropping from 14th after the 50-48 loss to Baylor.