Not too many changes up the top 25 of College Football through week 10, as Mississippi State and Florida State continue to occupy the top two spots. Below them things change, especially due to Auburn beating Ole Miss. The Tigers are now up to number three, while the Rebels fall down to #12, possibly taking them out of contention for the college football playoffs.
1. Mississippi State Bulldogs (45 First place votes), 8-0: Not the smoothest of wins, but beating Arkansas 17-10 is enough to keep them on top of the polls.
2. Florida State Seminoles (15), 8-0: Maybe the last difficult test is past them, beating Louisville 42-31 on the road, remaining at number two.
3. Auburn Tigers, 7-1: A 35-31 win over Ole Miss in Oxford gives them a one-spot rise.
4. Alabama Crimson Tide, 7-1: Didn’t play, fell down a spot.
5. Oregon Ducks, 8-1: Finally got the better of Stanford, beating the Cardinal 45-16, which didn’t move them up the polls.
6. TCU Horned Frogs, 7-1: The best team in the Big 12 so far walked away from Morgantown with a dramatic 31-30 win, climbing four spots up the rankings.
7. Michigan State Spartans, 7-1: Didn’t play, moved up a spot.
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 7-1: Beat Navy 49-39, fell down two spots.
9. Kansas State Wildcats, 7-1: The Wildcats remain perfect in the Big 12 with a 48-14 win over Oklahoma State moving up two spots.
10. Baylor Bears, 7-1: The expected 60-14 win over Kansas helped them move up two places.
11. Arizona State Sun Devils, 7-1: A four spot climb for the Sun Devils, beating a very tough Utah team 19-16.
12. Ole Miss Rebels, 7-2: Fell down five more spots after a 35-31 home loss to Auburn.
13. Ohio State Buckeyes, 7-1: A 55-14 win over Illinois didn’t move them from where they were last week.
14. LSU Tigers, 7-2: Didn’t play, still moved up two spots.
15. Nebraska Cornhuskers, 8-1: Beat Purdue 35-14 to move up a couple of spots, but may have lost the best running back in the nation for more than one game.
16. Oklahoma Sooners, 6-2: A three spot climb for the Sooners after an impressive 59-14 win over Iowa State in Ames.
17. Georgia Bulldogs, 6-2: The great hope of the SEC East crumbled in a 38-20 loss to Florida, falling eight spots.
18. UCLA Bruins, 7-2: Climbing eight spots after a big conference win over Arizona, 17-7.
19. Clemson Tigers, 6-2: Didn’t play, still moved up three spots in the world.
20. Utah Utes, 6-2: Didn’t go down easily, losing 19-16 to Arizona State, falling a couple of spots.
21. Arizona Wildcats, 6-2: Lost 17-7 to UCLA, meaning they took a seven spot tumble.
22. Duke Blue Devils, 7-1: A 51-48 double overtime win over Pittsburgh took Duke up a couple of spots.
23. Marshall Thundering Herd, 8-0: Didn’t play, didn’t move.
24. West Virginia Mountaineers, 6-3: The top three-loss team in the rankings, falling four spots after a 31-30 loss at home to TCU.
25. Wisconsin Badgers, 6-2: Back in the rankings after a 37-0 demolition of Rutgers with another big game for Melvin Gordon.
Dropped from rankings: East Carolina.