Not a lot of changes in the first top 25 of the season, as Ohio State remain the #1 team compared to preseason following a win over Virginia Tech, while the SEC puts a record 10 teams in the rankings, including Alabama, Auburn and Georgia in the top 10. Arizona State, Stanford and Wisconsin dropped from the rankings following losses, allowing Texas A&M, Utah and Mississippi State to climb in.
1. Ohio State Buckeyes (61 First place votes), 1-0: Things didn’t go too smoothly for the Buckeyes but the national champions came out of Virginia Tech with a 42-24 win to remain at number one.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide, 1-0: An impressive 35-17 win over Wisconsin helps them move up a spot.
3. TCU Horned Frogs, 1-0: A win, but not a very flashy win, beating Minnesota 23-17 on the road to drop one spot.
4. Baylor Bears, 1-0: Baylor beat SMU 56-21 for an easy start to the season, keeping them in place.
5. Michigan State Spartans, 1-0: Another team that didn’t have any problems in week 1, beating Western Michigan 37-24 and not moving in the rankings.
6. Auburn Tigers, 1-0: Auburn nearly led a big (24 points) lead slip away against Louisville but came away with the 31-24 win, staying put.
7. Oregon Ducks, 1-0: Gave up a lot of points in 61-42 win over Eastern Washington, but their ranking didn’t take a hit.
8. USC Trojans, 1-0: A strong start to 2015 with a 55-6 win over Arkansas State and no move in the rankings.
9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 1-0: Despite the fact that beating Texas isn’t a big deal these days, winning 38-3 against the Longhorns helped them move two spots up the rankings.
10. Georgia Bulldogs, 1-0: Beat Louisiana Monroe 51-14 to start the season yet dropped one spot.
11. Florida State Seminoles, 1-0: A 59-16 win over Texas State didn’t impress the voters, costing the Seminoles a spot.
12. Clemson Tigers, 1-0: Crushed Wofford 49-10, although it didn’t move them anywhere.
13. UCLA Bruins, 1-0: Beat Virginia 34-16, keeping them in place for this week.
14. LSU Tigers, 0-0: Didn’t play because of the weather, didn’t move either.
15. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 1-0: A 69-6 win over Alcorn State helped them move up one spot in the rankings.
16. Texas A&M Aggies, 1-0: Jumped into the rankings after being unranked in the preseason thanks to a 38-17 win over Arizona State.
17. Ole Miss Rebels, 1-0: Beat Tennessee-Martin 76-3, which didn’t move them anywhere.
18. Arkansas Razorbacks, 1-0: Beat UTEP 48-13 to start a crucial season with promise, not moving in the rankings.
19. Oklahoma Sooners, 1-0: Didn’t move as well following their 41-3 win over Akron.
20. Boise State Broncos, 1-0: Climbed three spots thanks to their 16-13 win over Washington.
21. Missouri Tigers, 1-0: Also had a three-spot climb thanks to a 34-3 win over Southeast Missouri State.
22. Arizona Wildcats, 1-0: Weren’t that impressive in a 42-32 win over Texas San Antonio, but it didn’t hurt their rankings.
23. Tennessee Volunteers, 1-0: Is this the year the Vols come back? They started well with a 59-30 win over Bowling Green, moving up two spots.
24. Utah Utes, 1-0: A hard earned 24-17 win over Michigan helps them get into the rankings.
25. Mississippi State Bulldogs, 1-0: A 34-16 win over Southern Mississippi helps them move into the rankings as well.
Dropped from rankings: Arizona State, Stanford, Northwestern