Just like last week, the week 6 top 25 college football rankings show voters are losing their confidence in Ohio State. Still number one, but with less first place votes, being spread out among Baylor, TCU, Utah and even Clemson, who complete the top 5. Florida are in the top 10 following another impressive win and Michigan are getting very close, while Oklahoma took a big tumble following their loss to Texas, Northwestern are on their way out while Georgia and USC are out of the rankings following their second loss of the season.
1. Ohio State Buckeyes (27 First Place votes), 6-0: We can see how the consensus from the preseason around Ohio State is falling apart and is being spread out among the masses. The Buckeyes beat Maryland 49-28.
2. Baylor Bears (13), 5-0: A demolition of Kansas (66-7) helped them jump up one spot thanks to TCU struggling in their Big 12 win.
3. TCU Horned Frogs (3), 6-0: Fell one spot after not being far from losing to Kansas State, eventually walking away with the 52-45 win.
4. Utah Utes (16), 5-0: Moved up one spot following their 30-24 win over previously undefeated California.
5. Clemson Tigers (1), 5-0: Another team that gets a one spot bump thanks to their 43-24 win over Georgia Tech.
6. LSU Tigers, 5-0: LSU got an extra home game thanks to the weather, helping them beat South Carolina 45-24 and move up one place.
7. Michigan State Spartans, 6-0: Haven’t looked convincing in a while, and a 31-24 win over Rutgers causes them to fall three spots.
8. Florida Gators, 6-0: Their defense helped hold Missouri to just 3 points in a 21-3 win, good enough for a three-spot rise.
9. Texas A&M Aggies (1), 5-0: Didn’t play, didn’t move.
10. Alabama Crimson Tide, 5-1: Didn’t look very good in their 27-14 win over Arkansas, resulting in a two-spot drop.
11. Florida State Seminoles, 5-0: Beat Miami 29-24 on a late touchdown by Dalvin Cook and climbed one spot.
12. Michigan Wolverines, 5-1: Fifth win in a row and third consecutive shutout, beating ranked Northwestern 38-0 to move up six spots.
13. Ole Miss Rebels, 5-1: Rebounded easily against New Mexico State, beating them 52-3 to move up one place.
14. Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 5-1: One loss didn’t derail the train (like last year) and they beat Navy 41-24 to move up one spot.
15. Stanford Cardinal, 4-1: Didn’t play and still got a one-place rise.
16. Oklahoma State Cowboys, 6-0: A five spot rise for the Cowboys, coming away with a tough 33-26 overtime win in Morgantown against West Virginia.
17. Iowa Hawkeyes, 6-0: A 29-20 win over Illinois pulls up the Hawkeyes five spots.
18. UCLA Bruins, 4-1: Didn’t play but got to rise two spots.
19. Oklahoma Sooners, 4-1: More dreams of going undefeated die with a 24-17 loss to unranked Texas in the Red River Shootout, causing Oklahoma to fall nine spots.
20. Northwestern Wildcats, 5-1: Another team to suffer from a big drop (7 places) following their 38-0 drubbing byt Michigan.
21. Boise State Broncos, 5-1: A four spot climb for Boise State following their 41-10 win over Colorado State.
22. Toledo Rockets, 5-0: Got themselves a 38-7 win against Kent State to move up a couple of spots.
23. California Golden Bears, 5-1: By coincidence, their 30-24 loss against Utah didn’t result in them losing any spot on the polls.
24. Houston Cougars, 5-0: First time in the rankings this season following a 49-28 win over SMU.
25. Duke Blue Devils, 5-1: In the rankings after a convincing 44-3 win over Army on the road.
Dropped from rankings: Georgia, USC