The only significant in the top 25 after week 9 games have come and gone is Ole Miss falling from number three to number seven due to losing against LSU. Mississippi State and Florida State remain as the top two teams, while two other SEC West teams complete the Final Four at the moment, Auburn and Alabama. Oregon are back in the top 5.
1. Mississippi State Bulldogs (7-0, 46 First Place Votes): The Bulldogs remain at the number one spot after beating Kentucky 45-31.
2. Florida State Seminoles (7-0, 14): Didn’t play, didn’t move.
3. Alabama Crimson Tide (7-1): Moved up a spot after a mostly comfortable 34-20 win over Tennessee.
4. Auburn Tigers (6-1): A hard earned 42-35 win over the disappointing South Carolina pushed Auburn one spot higher.
5. Oregon Ducks (7-1): The best of the Pac-12 so far moving up a spot after beating California 59-41.
6. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (6-1): Moves up one spot despite not playing.
7. Ole Miss Rebels (7-1): Fell four spots after losing 10-7 in a defensive battle against LSU.
8. Michigan State Spartans (7-1): These days, beating Michigan doesn’t earn you a move up the rankings. The Spartans came away with a big 35-11 victory in their rivalry game.
9. Georgia Bulldogs (6-1): The leading team in the SEC East didn’t play and didn’t move.
10. TCU Horned Frogs (6-1): A huge 82-27 win over the sliding Texas Tech didn’t help push the Frogs up the polls.
11. Kansas State Wildcats (6-1): The next of the Big 12 teams to humiliate Texas, beating the Longhorns 23-0, not moving up for it.
12. Baylor Bears (6-1): Didn’t play, didn’t move.
13. Ohio State Buckeyes (6-1): Overcame Penn State 31-24 in a double overtime game, didn’t move.
14. Arizona Wildcats (6-1): Moved up one spot after a 59-37 win over Washington State.
15. Arizona State Sun Devils (6-1): Apparently, beating Washington on the road is a cause for a one-spot demotion.
16. LSU Tigers (7-2): Big risers of the week, beating #3 Ole Miss 10-7 in Death Valley, climbing eight spots.
17. Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-1): A 42-24 win over Rutgers dropped them one spot.
18. Utah Utes (6-1): Beat USC with a dramatic late touchdown 24-21, climbing one spot.
19. Oklahoma Sooners (5-2): Didn’t play, fell two spots.
20. West Virginia Mountaineers (6-2): A big road win in Stillwater over Oklahoma State (34-10) earned them a two spot bump.
21. East Carolina Pirates (6-1): Didn’t play, didn’t move.
22. Clemson Tigers (6-2): A 16-6 win over Syracuse didn’t help them as they slide one spot.
23. Marshall Thundering Herd (8-0): A 35-16 win over Florida Atlantic didn’t move them at all.
24. Duke Blue Devils (6-1): In the rankings for the first time this season following a 20-13 win over Virginia.
25. UCLA Bruins (6-2): Stayed put following a 40-37 overtime win in Colorado.
Dropped from rankings: USC