Oklahoma didn’t need to play to remain on top of the AP Top 25 after Week 2 of College Football action. In fact, the Sooners become the first program to get that no.1 ranking for the 100th week since the poll began in 1936. National champions Auburn, after two unimpressive wins, finally are in the rankings, at 21.
1. Oklahoma Sooners, 1-0 (32 First place votes) – Those who thought the Sooners were the best in the land didn’t change their mind, keeping Oklahoma at the top spot despite not playing.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide, 2-0 (9) – Nothing’s better than a win over a ranked opponent. Alabama beat Penn State 27-11 in Happy Valley, moving up a spot from last week.
3. LSU Tigers, 2-0 (17) – Northwestern St. ain’t much of an opponent, and the voters punished LSU by dropping them a spot from last week, despite their 49-3 win.
4. Boise State Broncos, 1-0 (2) – Didn’t play, didn’t move.
5. Florida State Seminoles, 2-0 – The Seminoles didn’t really put up an effort beating CSU 62-10 at home.
6. Stanford Cardinal, 2-0 – Andrew Luck had another impressive weekend (4 TDs) in Stanford’s 44-14 of Duke in North Carolina.
7. Wisconsin Badgers, 2-0 – The pride of the Big Ten destroyed Oregon State 35-0, moving up a spot.
8. Oklahoma State Cowboys, 2-0 – The Cowboys impressed and moved up a spot with their 37-14 win over Arizona.
9. Texas A&M Aggies, 1-0 – Didn’t play. Made more news with their conference changing plans. Fell two spots.
10. Nebraska Cornhuskers, 2-0 – The Taylor Martinez show had a hard time playing Fresno State at home, pulling away in the fourth, winning 42-29.
11. South Carolina Gamecocks, 2-0 – Another tough win over a much more impressive opponent than last week. SC beat Georgia 45-42, moving up a spot from last week.
12. Oregon Ducks, 1-1 – A crushing 69-20 win over Nevada, giving Oregon their first win of the season, with Darron Thomas throwing six touchdown passes, moved them up a spot.
13. Virginia Tech Hokies, 2-0 – The Hokies dropped two spots after an unimpressive 17-10 win over East Carolina, giving Frank Beamer his 200th win.
14. Arkansas Razorbacks, 2-0 – A 52-3 crushing of New Mexico kept Arkansas at 14th.
15. Michigan State Spartans – A 44-0 win over Florida Atlantic moved the Spartans two spots up the rankings.
16. Florida Gators, 2-0 – The Gators also got a two spot upgrade after a 39-0 win over UAB at home.
17. Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-0 – Dropping two spots and going nowhere this season, Ohio State struggled at home against Toledo, coming up with a narrow 27-22 win.
18. West Virginia Mountaineers, 2-0 – A 55-12 win over Norfolk State, including 45 unanswered points in the second half and Geno Smith throwing for 371 yards and four TDs moved WVU up one spot.
19. Baylor Bears, 1-0 – Didn’t play, made some news with their attempt to block A&M’s move to the SEC.
20. South Florida Bulls, 2-0 – Another two spot rise after a 37-7 win over Ball State.
21. Auburn Tigers, 2-0 – Auburn won a crazy, crazy game, beating ranked Mississippi State 41-34 to get some voters attention finally.
22. Arizona State Sun Devils, 2-0 – Upsetting ranked Missouri 37-30 at home got the Sun Devils into the rankings for the first time this season.
23. TCU Horned Frogs, 1-1 – TCU jumped two places up the rankings, beating Air Force 35-19.
24. Texas Longhorns, 2-0 – Staying at 24, the Longhorns beat BYU 17-16 with their backup QB and four different passers.
25. Mississippi State Rebels – Dropped nine spots after their loss against Auburn.
Dropped from rankings – Missouri, Penn State.