Oregon reach the number 2 spot in the AP Poll top 25 for the first time this season after an impressive 49-0 shutout of formerly ranked Arizona, pushing LSU down the rankings after they struggled to handle Auburn, beating them only 12-10. Alabama is in business as usual mode, beating Florida Atlantic 40-7.
1. Alabama Crimson Tide, 4-0 (59 first place votes) - The Tide remain top of the nation, as expected, after another easy home victory of Florida Atlantic, 40-7.
2. Oregon Ducks, 4-0 - Beating a ranked team, Arizona, so easily, with a 49-0 victory that came more because of the Ducks’ forgotten defense, moving them up a spot in the rankings.
3. LSU Tigers, 4-0 (1) - Still undefeated, but struggling to beat a week Auburn team with a 12-10 win got the Tigers to slip a spot down the rankings.
4. Florida State Seminoles, 4-0 - Didn’t move, despite winning what might be their biggest game in the ACC this season, beating Clemson 49-37 in the best game of the weekend.
5. Georgia Bulldogs, 4-0 - Georgia look more impressive with every game, this time destroying Vanderbilt 48-3 at home, enjoying a very good day for quarterback Aaron Murray.
6. South Carolina Gamecocks, 4-0 - Steve Spurrier and his team advance another spot up the polls after beating Missouri 31-10 in the battle of the Columbia schools, as Connor Shaw has a nearly flawless day (20-21, two touchdown passes) at quarterback.
7. Kansas State Wildcats, 4-0 - The top ranked Big 12 team at the moment, the Wildcats finally managed to beat Oklahoma in Norman with a fantastic defensive display, beating the Sooners 24-19 and climbing eight spots for it.
8. Stanford Cardinal, 3-0 - Didn’t play, moved up a spot.
9. West Virginia Mountaineers, 3-0 - Geno Smith put up big numbers once again, but the Mountaineers struggled to put away a less than impressive Maryland team, winning 31-21 and falling down a spot.
10. Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 4-0 - Hardly surprising anymore, as the Irish enter the top 10 by dismantling Michigan’s dysfunctional offense, beating their big rivals 13-6 behind some great defense.
11. Florida Gators, 4-0 - Move up three spots after beating Kentucky 38-0, their 26th consecutive win against the Wildcats.
12. Texas Longhorns, 3-0 - Didn’t play, didn’t move.
13. USC Trjoans, 3-1 - Rebounded from their loss to Stanford with their first Pac-12 win of the season, beating California 27-9 behind 158 rushing yards by Silas Redd, not moving in the rankings.
14. Ohio State Buckeyes, 4-0 - Moved up a couple of spots after beating UAB 29-15, with Braxton Miller doing all the work on the ground as well, once again.
15. TCU Horned Frogs, 3-0 - Gary Patterson won his 11th straight game, the best among the FBS schools right now, beating Virginia 27-7 and moved up two spots.
16. Oklahoma Sooners, 2-1 - Lost at home to Kansas State 19-24, showing their Landry Jones led offense and running attack were overrated, falling down 10 spots in the rankings.
17. Clemson Tigers, 3-1 - Played well against Florida State, but not enough, losing 49-37 and sliding down seven spots in the rankings.
18. Oregon State, 2-0 - Only two games for the Beavers this season, but they’ve beaten ranked opponents both times, this time winning in UCLA 27-20 and making their first appearance in the rankings this season.
19. Louisville, 4-0 - Moved up a spot after beating Florida International 28-21, scoring a touchdown in each quarter and having just enough defense to hang on.
20. Michigan State, 3-1 - Rebounded from their loss to the Irish by beating Eastern Michigan easily at home, 23-7. Le’Veon Bell ran for 253 yards as they moved up a spot.
21. Mississippi State, 4-0 - The Bulldogs found an Alabama team they can beat, South Alabama, winning 30-10 at home and moving up a couple of spots in the rankings.
22. Nebraska Cornhuskers, 3-1 - Didn’t have much of an opponent in Idaho State, but a 73-7 win doesn’t come easily, no matter who the opponent is.
23. Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 4-0 - Make their first appearance in the rankings by helping Arkansas continue their demise, beating the Razorbacks 35-26 in Arkansas.
24. Boise State, 2-1 - Kept their ranking after beating BYU 7-6.
25. Baylor, 3-0 - Make their first appearance in the rankings this season after beating Lousiana Monroe 47-42, who’s win over Arkansas doesn’t look as impressive anymore.
Dropped from rankings – Michigan, UCLA, Arizona.